Monday, September 22, 2008

Our First Hike














This past weekend was perfect for a hike. We knew that we couldn't do too much with Anna and Max so we thought driving up to MT. Greylock would be enough. We would be able to enjoy the beautiful scenery (Legend has it that the beauty of this mountain inspired Herman Melville to write "Moby Dick"). and we wouldn't have two whiney kids. Well, as luck would have it the road to the top is closed until the spring. Now, we just spent an hour driving here, the kids are up from their nap and they want OUT of the car.
So, we went into the visitor building and the kids played in a little area meant for children and then we took a 2 mile loop through the woods. The 16 mile round trip to the top just was not an option for us. Now, Shar (she write a wonderful travel blog about travel with kids) has told me and written on her blog that picking a handicap accessible trail is a good idea and she is correct. We did not have one available to us and luckily the kids walked a good amount of the time, but there were many times that they were carried. Jon was such a good Daddy and even carried the two of them! Anna was so exhausted by the end that she slept in my arms for the last twenty min of the hike. I am impressed I was able to finish with her in my arms.

We had a great day and are looking forward to spending lots of time on nature trails with the kids. It really was fun.


7 comments:

Tonya Staab said...

I just love the pic of them sitting on the tree branch together.

I cannot believe you carried them part of the way. Way to go! I'm impressed.

The Romero-Schroeder said...

Great pictures, What a great place!!!!

Christy said...

Wow impressive! Love the pics, looks sooo beautiful!!

Oh and I would never have been able to carry one of the girls and hike for 20 mins! Way to go!

Christy said...

Great pics! Looks like so much fun! I love the one of them on the tree branch too! My 2nd fav is the one where Daddy was carrying them both! Yeah to you being able to finish with a sleeping baby! That would be tough to do!

Jane said...

love the tree pic! :)

Sharlene said...

Dawn I am so proud of you taking the kids on their first hike. they will get more endurance the more often you go. And some days are better than others. Just keep in mind you don't have to go the whole way. Its about the journey, not the destination!

Bre said...

Oh my goodness your page is full of fabulous pictures!!!! You guys have been up to alot of fun! :o)